Thursday, April 8, 2010

Warrior Dash




So I'm sitting here trying to come up with the perfect idea for my next blog topic, and I thought I'd write about a race I'm running on May 22. It's called Warrior Dash and it's in north Georgia. This race is considered to be the ultimate event for thrill-seeking athletes. Would I consider myself an athlete? Not quite. BUT, I am a thrill-seeker and I couldn't pass up this opportunity.


This is the first time the race has been held in the southeast, and it's the 3rd out of 9 races held in the 2010 series. Warrior Dash is not an ordinary 5k course. It has many intense obstacles that you have to overcome such as:
  • "Warrior Roast" --> leap over warrior fires

  • "Muddy Mayhem" --> crawl to the muddy pit to the finish

  • "Cargo Climb" --> manuever over the cargo net

  • "Black Forest" --> forge your way through uncharted forest

  • "Junkyard Jam" --> stampede through the scrapyard


I'm pretty pumped about the race, but I'm also a little scared of the "cargo climb." That just seems really tough! But what I'm most excited about is the fact that the interest in this race has exploded because of social media. As a public relations major, I'm constantly trying to observe and learn what makes some events "tip" and what makes others fail. The use of facebook and twitter has earned this race it's success, and it hasn't even gotten here yet!



On Facebook, the race series has almost 50,000 fans! That's incredible. Not too mention, the Warrior Dash facebook fan page is how I first heard about this unique event. I posted the fan page on my facebook status and within 2 hours, several of my friends responded and we all registered. I've also been following Warrior Dash on twitter. The twitter page has almost 2,500 followers and is growing everyday.


I can hardly wait for race day to be here. Don't worry though, the festivities are only beginning when the race is finished. Afterwards, there is a huge post-race party. The race, a Red Frog Events production, will provide beer for all of-age race finishers and live music will be playing all day long. Check back around the end of May for more results!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment