Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Afternoon Delight on WGUR 88.9

This semester, my mass communication practicum ended up going beyond the concentration of public relations. I was an afternoon DJ with a friend of mine and loved every minute of it. I can't believe I've been on air every week...it's sad to think it's almost over ;-( This blog is definitely dedicated to WGUR 88.9 The Edge!
Every Tuesday from 4 to 5 you could tune in and hear Emily Brown and me chit-chat about the latest happenings in the news. Emily has been really great about about organizing the topics we talk about, and I've handled all the music. This was my favorite part of the show...I think being a DJ is my calling! Every week I picked a letter and played music from artists that began with the letter of my choosing, for example: On the day I picked the letter "S" we played songs such as Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder, Gypsy by Stevie Nicks (technically Fleetwood Mac for all you music-buffs), Take the Money and Run by Steve Miller Band, and Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan.
When I was on air for the first time, I was incredibly nervous but I've really learned to relax and get into the conversation. Next semester, Emily and I plan on continuing our show in the mornings and changing it's name from "Afternoon Delight" to "Morning Delight" - I'm not a morning person so it should be interesting to see how long it takes me to get into the swing of things. Wish me luck!
WGUR 88.9 The Edge is an awesome student-run station that is in the process of a huge expansion. If you can tune in online, check us out @ http://www.gcsuradio.com/ and listen to the up and coming DJ's on air... or follow us on twitter @wgur889!

No comments:

Post a Comment